Wednesday, July 21, 2010

That sweet baby smell

There is an aroma, an essence so to speak, that mother's speak of. They call it, that 'sweet' baby smell. The smell that only a 'new' baby has. It's on their clothes, on their blanket, the bedding and on their breath. But the same mom's that celebrate that sweet baby smell, are quick to add how awful their poop will smell once they begin to eat solid food. Considering that I change an average of 15 diapers a day, I can tell you that caring for two miniature human beings comes with its share of interesting aromas. It's especially entertaining when I can hear the little angels pass a good one on the baby monitor.

It's ok, it's all natural and it's just what babies (and adults) do. I've witnessed arc's of pee that stream over three feet, accidents in the bath tub, mishaps on new clothes and my mother being the victim of an epic explosion on her hand, arm and floor (Ella will hear this story over and over again when she grows up).

So when people talk about that sweet baby smell... Trust me, I KNOW that smell and I cherish it every day (when they aren't passing gas).


2 comments:

  1. I also love the smell after you've just put sunscreen on them. Sounds like you are taking it all in stride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a mommy yet, but I totally know what you mean by baby smell because I'm around it at the children's hospital when I work. Its kind of addicting. =)

    ReplyDelete